Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Failed!

Copper had her newborn hearing screen done today and she failed. Don't worry, the kid can hear, it's just that her responses were delayed due to a possible ear infection or fluid behind her ear drums. Being a new mom, I immediately called the pediatrician to see if we should bring her in to have her ears checked out and they said we should. So we brought her in and it turns out that she has a bit of a cold. It wasn't her aptitude that caused her to fail, it was out of her control. She has had some big boogers lately so it made sense that she had a cold. Unfortunately, we have to go back to have a follow-up test done the beginning of January that is 3 hours long. Today's test took about 45 minutes.

The test was done at Children's Hospital and the moment I parked my car and saw parents walking their kids across the parking lot, I knew that the hospital is not a place I wanted to be. Kids and illness are a combination that I do not like to see. While there were probably a few kids in there just getting routine tests done like Copper, most of those kids are in for much more serious conditions. I saw a dad walk out with some kind of padded backboard that looked big enough for about a 2 year old. I've never liked thinking about sick kids, but now that I have my own kid, I like thinking about it even less. While Aubrey and I have high expectations for our little girl, we've both stated on numerous occasions that what we really want is for Copper to be healthy. I can't even imagine what parents go through when their child is ill. I try not to even let my mind go there.

On a brighter side, the crazy cute picture of Copper was taken at the pediatricians office today. I'm sure Copper was thinking, "Holy crap! That baby is CUTE!"

On a side note: Copper now weighs 9 lbs 11 oz! She is now in size 1 diapers. Such a big girl.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel about the sick kid thing, Sarah. Unimaginable. I hope baby Copper's ears are feeling better! That's no fun. Almost 10 lbs...that's awesome! Has anyone told you about the 12 lb miracle?

    ReplyDelete