Friday, April 23, 2010

Epidurals are for sissies

Aubrey and I have decided to use a birthing center for the delivery of Little Fucker. One difference between a birthing center and a hospital is that an epidural is never an option. (Unless you're having some complications and get shipped off to the hospital and there's time to get one there.) Since epidurals are big conversation in the pregnancy world, it seemed important to share that piece of information. While I've never been anti epidural, I am a bit anti "medicine." The birthing center is for low risk pregnancies only and I hope to be in that category. I know that I'm not going to be able to explain myself well in our decision, but it just feels like the right thing to do. I don't want to be hooked up to a bunch of monitors, confined to a bed, have a bunch of different people coming into my room every 10 minutes to check on me. I don't want to have to hire someone to be my advocate/ally during delivery, I want the staff to be my advocates. I don't want to give a birthing plan to everyone that walks through my door, I want the facility to be my birthing plan. I want a holistic approach to be the first approach to my entire pregnancy and delivery. I like to know my natural options to traditional medicine and this is the place that will always provide that. Aubrey and I went to the orientation at Mountain Midwifery Center on April 8th and loved the place. It was so comfortable to be there. Our bodies respond to external stimuli and that is especially true during delivery. The birthing rooms each have a different decor and each has a bed, a tub for water birth, balls, and birthing stools. They also come equipped with herbal medicines and an IV just in case you're not staying hydrated drinking water. You are completely mobile during labor, encouraged to eat and drink, and if shift changes permit, you will be with the same couple people the whole time. Generally you are released 4-6 hours after delivery and you and the baby have your shit together. Since you have probably each asked what happens if things don't go well, here's your answer: I must pre-register at Swedish Medical Center which is a block from the birthing center. The Birthing Center has about an 11% transfer rate. Some of those transfers occur due to dilation stalling out in which case the husband generally just drives you over to the hospital. If something more severe occurs, then an ambulance will transport you. In either case, the midwife will accompany you to the hospital and make sure that you get checked in and settled in. They don't stay for the delivery. While there are plenty of horror stories about deliveries, there are even more stories of complication free deliveries. About 85% of deliveries are without complications. I'm not necessarily looking forward to the excruciating pain that comes with delivery, but I am looking forward to getting the trophy that gets handed out to those who have natural births. There is a trophy, right?

10 comments:

  1. That trophy is your new daughter or son. Sarah and Aubrey could you rethink "the name" that you have given my grandaughter/grandson? Unlike Lucy (aka Peanut) I may find it difficult to get a cute little t-shirt with Little Fucker on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I have to agree with your mom on the name thing...maybe something cuter and babyish and less profane!!!

    Anywho, I am so excited about the birthing center/midwife thing. I think it is a great decision and I know that you can do it au-naturale. It really isn't that bad, you learn ways to get through the pain and once the baby is here you forget all about it. Don't forget to watch the movie The business of being born. There are home births and birthcenter births in it so it may help you know what to expect.

    Oh and about the trophy part, your mom is right, the kid is the only trophy you get. But I think you get bragging rights too. Because I wouldn't say this to people's faces but you're a real woman if you have a baby without drugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you are a real woman if you have a baby without drugs, but you are a happy woman with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, you are a real woman and a much happier woman when you birth without drugs. You are 100% there for your newborn and able to walk to the bathroom all by yourself :)

      Delete
  4. Holy Cow! I just read through this entire blog in one go, after finding the link from your Big Black Dog blog which i catch up on every so often. Suppose I should say something significant... hmmm... Well I thought I was on a big adventure but this is really amazing. Funny to think on all the different ways to have a baby. I just spent a lot of time in himalayan villages where health care is poor, rudimentary and based a lot on luck, luck of not getting sick or having complications. What a trip to think of the options and choices you have in comparasion.

    I am so excited for you! Thanks for posting all this and giving me a chance to "catch up" with your great news.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. no way!!!! it (he/she) will always be little fucker!! lol i dig it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lisa. If we had to change it, we were thinking: "Little Trucker" or "Little Fauker"

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of your most commented on topics Sarah! Good to hear from Brad. Lia glad to hear your comment also. How about Melvin #2 ???? I do think Melvin would appreciate this. He may not even resent this new person invading his space!

    ReplyDelete