Saturday, February 7, 2015

It's all temporary

On day 2 I started telling myself that everything is temporary. Contractions are temporary, pushing is temporary, my vagina will eventually heal, the bleeding will stop, being woke up every 2-3 hours to nurse is temporary, excruciating painful nipples are temporary, the engorgement will subside, his crying will stop. It's all temporary. Someday he'll be this kick ass 4 year old like Copper. Someday we'll go on great vacations again. Someday I'll sleep in my own bed and the kids will be sleeping in their own beds. Buying diapers is temporary. In the moment things can seem like they'll never end. The pain will never stop. I'll never get enough sleep. Fortunately that's not the reality. In that first week after Ollie was born, I did have to keep telling myself that it's all temporary. Children are this long experience of phases. It can feel like a certain phase will never end and before you know it, they've moved onto a new phase that seems endless. Don't get me wrong, Ollie has been amazing, but there are those overwhelming moments that seem like they'll never end. They always do. It's all temporary.

1 comment: