Sunday, January 20, 2013

What Are We Getting Ourselves Into?

Yep, I'm pregnant with #2. About 9 weeks or so. It was another easy-peesy conception and now I have the dreaded middle of summer due date...August. Landscaping the back yard may need to wait until next year. August may not be too bad though. I can envision myself lounging on the back deck with my feet up for part of the summer and then doing more of the same after the kid is born for the rest of the summer. (That's probably pretty far from reality though.) I'm still struggling with being super excited about the pregnancy, but that's only because this time around I know how hard it is and how much harder it will be with one already around demanding my attention. Plus there's a pretty good chance that Aubrey will not have 2 months off after I have the kid like he had with Copper. I am constantly reassured that kids are always opposites so that may work in my favor this time around. Copper was tough nut as a baby....and a 1 year old...and a two year old...So I keep expecting #2 to be just as challenging. But maybe this one will go to bed before 1am before it's 3 months old, won't require my constant attention, will take something other than my boob, won't have food allergies, the list goes on. But Copper is a very affectionate little girl that loves her mama and I'm not sure that I don't want those traits in #2. It would be a tough trade off for a kid that is a little more independent than Copper was, but not as affectionate. (Maybe I won't give a shit about affection at that point as long as I can get a little time to myself once in a while.)  I'm sure as time goes on and I start to show and feel the baby kick, I will start to get more excited. Actually, the excitement part will come when I get to redecorate the guest room into Copper's new room. Copper is now getting a sibling whether she wants one or not and they damn well better get along. Having a second kid is not fulfilling a void in me, it's providing Copper with the partner in crime that we feel she deserves. Having two will be fun...some day. These first few years are going to be tough, but doable. Our family will be complete.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and your family - I can't wait to find out if it's another girl or a boy this time around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!!! I was so happy to hear the news. Copper will love having a little brother! :) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I'm so excited for you, Aubrey, and Copper! :)

    ReplyDelete